Introduction & Purpose
I am committed to protecting your privacy, whether you are a contact, client, customer or supplier of mine. I am also committed to complying with the Australian Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) and the Australian privacy principles (the Privacy Act and Principles).
The purpose of this policy is to explain how your personal information (which may include your health information) is collected and used by me in my clinic or through my website and mobile applications (Site).
Please read this policy carefully. By providing your personal information to me, you consent to me collecting, holding, using and sharing your personal information in accordance with this policy.
What personal information do I collect?
The personal information I collect may include:
- personal details such as your name, date of birth, age, gender, occupation or job title;
- contact details such as your addresses, postcode, email addresses, mobile and landline phone numbers and fax numbers;
- your health and lifestyle information including previous and current health and medical history, medications or current treatments, social history, family history and risk factors;
- your payment information (e.g. your credit card details);
- details of the products and services you have enquired about or purchased from me, together with any additional information needed to respond to your enquiries and deliver those products and services;
- your browser session and geo-location data, device and network information, statistics on page views and sessions, acquisition sources, search queries and/or browsing behaviour;
- information about your access and use of the Site, including through the use of Internet cookies, your communications with the Site, the type of browser you are using, the type of operating system you are using and the domain name of your Internet service provider;
- additional personal information that you provide to me, directly or indirectly, through your use of my Site, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information; and
- any other personal information requested by me and/or provided by you or a third party during our communications.
How do I collect your personal information?
I may collect your personal information in several different ways including when,
- you purchase a product or service from me, including when you make a booking and during consultations;
- you subscribe to my newsletter or updates service;
- you attend a workshop or event where I am hosting or presenting;
- you correspond with me on a social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram or similar sites;
- you contact me with a question, comment or inquiry;
- you provide information relating to your business; or
- you visit my website.
Where reasonable, I will collect personal information directly from you. However in some circumstances (for example, when it is not practical or reasonable to collect directly from you, or where you have authorised me to do so) personal information may also be collected from other sources, such as:
- your guardian or responsible person (if under 18); and
- other involved healthcare providers, such as specialists, allied health professionals, hospitals, community health services and pathology and diagnostic imaging services.
If you do not provide me with personal information when requested to do so, I may not be able to carry out your instructions or achieve the purpose for which the information has been sought.
Wherever lawful and practical, you will have the option of not identifying yourself when dealing with me.
The majority of web browsers accept cookies automatically. You can disable cookies, but it might restrict your ability to access certain areas of the Site.
Why do I collect, use, hold and share your personal information?
I may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to contact and communicate with you;
- for internal record keeping and administrative purposes;
- to provide you with my products and services, including to provide personalised treatment plans and recommendations to you;
- for analytics, market research and business development, including to operate and improve my Site, associated applications and associated social media platforms;
- to evaluate, modify and enhance my products and services, including to develop new products and services;
- to enable you to access and use the Site, associated applications and associated social media platforms; and
- to run competitions and/or offer additional benefits to you;
- for advertising and marketing, including to send you promotional information about my products and services and information about third parties that I consider may be of interest to you;
- to comply with my legal obligations and resolve any disputes that I may have; and
- to consider your employment application; and
- to otherwise operate and administer my organisation.
Who do I share your personal information with?
I may share your personal information with:
- third party service providers to enable them to provide their services, including (without limitation), IT service providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, debt collectors, maintenance or problem-solving providers, marketing or advertising providers, professional advisors and payment systems operators;
- my employees, contractors and/or related entities;
- my existing or potential agents or business partners;
- sponsors or promoters of any competition I run;
- anyone to whom my business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- credit reporting agencies, courts, tribunals and regulatory authorities, in the event you fail to pay for goods or services I have provided to you;
- courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend my legal rights;
- third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in providing information, products, services or direct marketing to you. This may include parties located, or that store data, outside of Australia, including USA.
- third parties to collect and process data, such as Google Analytics. This may include parties that store data outside of Australia.
- when it is necessary to lessen or prevent a serious threat to a patient’s life, health or safety or public health or safety;
- when you are unable to act on your own behalf due to a health condition, I may need to discuss your health information with relatives or emergency contacts, in order that you are provided with appropriate care;
- to assist in locating a missing person;
- when there is a statutory requirement to share certain personal information (e.g. some diseases require mandatory notification);
Disclosure of information outside Australia
Communications and marketing
How do I store and protect your personal information?
For example, I maintain my files in secure offices and limit access to personal information to individuals with a need to know. I do use cloud storage for personal information with Simple Clinic and G-Suite. These companies are subject to encryption and protection that can be found on their websites. If you are in communication with me via electronic means such as email, Zoom, contact forms, Instagram, LinkedIn or Facebook, I do not have full control over the transmission or storage or any personal information disclosed. You agree that by participating in such forms of communication you understand and accept that there is an inherent risk of disclosure or loss of your personal information for which I cannot be held responsible.
I will destroy or de-identify personal information I no longer require except where I have a legal obligation to retain such information, such as your health information. I will never permanently store complete credit card details.
Privacy and my website
How can you access and correct your personal information?
You may request details of the personal information that I hold about you. An administrative fee may be payable for the provision of such information. In certain circumstances, as set out in the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth), I may refuse to provide you with personal information that I hold about you.
I will take reasonable steps to correct your personal information where the information is not accurate, complete or up to date. From time to time, I may ask you to verify that your personal information held by me is correct and current. You may also request that I correct or update your information, and you should make such requests in writing to: email@example.com
How can you lodge a privacy-related complaint?
If you are not satisfied with my response, you may also contact the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). Generally, the OAIC will require you to give them time to respond before they will investigate. For further information visit www.oaic.gov.au or call the OAIC on 1300 363 992.
Changes to my policy
For more information
If you have any questions about the content of this policy, please contact me at:
6/83 Mell Road, Spearwood WA (in the Elite Sports Podiatry Building)
Last update: March 2019